Dr. KB
Dr. KB, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
6065144

how do I stop my male, neutered cat from spraying

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
He shares the house with 5 other cats, they are all locked in, but can access a pet park outside, all are neutered, he deliberately sprays when he knows we are looking, no others do it (2 other males), all get along fine.
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

If you haven't had him to the vet recently, he should be evaluated for any urinary problems which may be contributing to his spraying. A bladder or urinary tract infection causing discomfort, may be causing this behavior.

If he was neutered recently, he will still retain a small amount of testosterone in his system, and if he sprayed before he was neutered, this will take a while to slacken off. If he was not neutered recently, his blood should be tested for a hormone imbalance, which, if detected, will be treated to improve the situation.

I assume your 'pet park' is a cat enclosure outside, adjacent to the house. If he's outside, even though he can't roam, he may still smell other cats (strays, neighbors, etc.) and is marking territory. Try a cat appeasing pheromone called Feliway/Comfort Zone for Cats, which comes in both a spray and plug-in diffuser, available at major pet supply stores, and also online. The diffuser resembles a plug-in air freshener, but has no scent to humans. Feliway helps to relax stressed cats, curb territorial urine marking, and is useful in a multitude of situations. For more information, please see: www.catfaeries.com/feliway.html

If you say he sprays when he knows you're looking, he may be seeking attention. Try playing with him with interactive toys, like a laser pointer or feather teaser (fishing pole toy).

Clean all areas he's sprayed, with an enzymatic cleaner, to completely remove the odor, so he doesn't return to the same spots.

http://www.petcarecentral.com/nm-155.html
http://www.allivet.com/Equalizer-Carpet-Stain-and-Odor-p/26942.htm
www.zeroodorstore.com
http://www.redhotcarpetcleaning.com/en-us/simple-solution-faq.html

These products are available in pet supplies and online.

I hope things improve, soon!

Cher
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
None of the answer helps - he does not have an infection, he started spraying well after he was neutered, he does get a lot of attention, and he does use the kitty litter tray, but sometimes he just seems to do it to annoy me, and we he gets in trouble, he is very quiet and repentant, but it does not last - he has sprayed all over the house, he has ruined my laptop and some of my drawers and cupboards are swelling apart from the acid in his spray, he ruined the video recorded - I don't know what to do with him!
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hello again,

I'm very sorry you did not find the suggestions in my answer helpful.

I will leave your question open for other Expert opinions.

I wish you and your cats much good luck!

Cher
Expert:  Dr. KB replied 9 years ago.

If you have medically ruled out cystitis (bladder infection) then the cat is spraying due to some type of stress. This could be seeing other cats as the other poster related, intercat issues, new occurrences, etc. You may have to temporarily separate him, or find out what is stressing him, such as setting up a video camera to film and see what is going on. This would give you the best insgiht.

My own cat was urinating like this - would come into the living room and urinate in front of me. My female was urinating ON me! I ended up, after trying everything, putting my cat on prozac. I give him his meds once daily and the cost is about $4/month at Walmart. Would not hurt asking your vet to script this out.

I give 5 mg once daily. He stopped his urianting behavior on day 2.

Let me know if you have any more questions.