Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my cat has this crud in her eyes all the time. can u tell ...

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my cat has this crud in her eyes all the time. can u tell me what I can do about it. also she is very gassy, she only eats science diet.she is about a yr old.also around her eyes she looks like it is pink. thank u Joy Mcquade
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat‘s eye. If attempting to treat at home you want to be very careful first of all that the eye continually looks better through treatment, and no signs of rubbing at it, reddening worse, or cloudiness appear in the eye.

You should rinse the eye with sterile saline, like that found in regular contact lens solution, (not the ones with disinfectant but just normal saline/ NaCl) and do not let the tip of the container touch the eye. You can wipe around the eye with the saline soaked on a soft cotton ball or gauze, but don't use anything harsh like paper towels.

You can also find an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment at a pharmacy: like terramycin, triple antibiotic (neo/poly/bac), etc. Ask the sales people if you need help, but it does need to be safe for the eye, not a topical one for skin. After rinsing the eye, apply the ointment 3 times a day (every 8 hrs) for 10 to 14 days.

This is likely conjunctivitis, but could also be a scratch or ulcer forming and if not starting to clear up in a couple of days, you'll need a vet to check it. It is very possible some debris or litter settled in your cat's eye, causing this problem.

As for the gassy problem, science diet has a reputation for this issue. I would suggest switching to a food with a lower fiber % on the label, but still a top brand; gradually switch foods over a 3 day period to avoid diarrhea and I'd guarantee her gas problem resolves.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further.