Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments

Is it safe to give amoxycillin to a nursing mother cat

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is it safe to give amoxycillin to a nursing mother cat? Will it harm, or hurt the kittens?
Expert:  Lori replied 8 years ago.
What is going on with the mother that would cause her to need the amoxi? How old are the kittens?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The mother has had a respiratory infection--the kittens are newborn.(one day).
Expert:  Lori replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information. It won't hurt the kittens for the mother to have amoxicillin. I would keep the dosage to a minimum (1/2cc twice a day). Amoxi is the most commonly prescribed antibiotics for very young kittens. As a sidebar, if mom-cat's symptoms are minimal, I would actually hold off treating her and see if she can't throw this thing off on her own with no treatment. If the nasal discharge she has is white, yellow or green, then it is almost certainly bacterial in origin, and she WILL need antibiotics to get over it. The stress of birth can sometimes cause symptoms of uris, so again - I would wait a couple of days, unless she is acting pretty sick before starting medication. I will also tell you to watch the kittens closely. If they stop nursing, or become extremly whiney and fretful, you may need to start supplementing them. I would go ahead and purchase some KMR (kitten milk replacer) to have on hand just in case.

Please let me know if I can help further in any way.