Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

my kitten is all swollen by her anus/rectum...it looks very ...

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
my kitten is all swollen by her anus/rectum...it looks very sore and painful, what could be the cause and what is the normal treatment?
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

How old is she?

does she chew non food itemss?

how long does she appear constipated?

is she eating?

indoor kitty?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Terri,
Thanks for your inquiry..my kitten is about 2 months old...I have not seen her chewing anything she shouldn't..but she was eating adult dry food(which I have since taken away from them and only use that for kittens-reason being I think I saw a whole morsel in her stool)...the problem is now only about 2-3 days along...she eats like crazy!!! she is strictly an indoor kitty...I have her mom and other relatives here ...the only time she appears in any distress is when 'someone' trys to clean her butt or when she trys to defecate...she is passing mostly loose stool, when I see her, but I know she is hiding alot when she needs to go(I understand the reason for this behavior) so I don't know if she is passing formed stool...she did pass some yesterday..other than she appears uncomfortable (no surprise) she is playful and runs all over. It also doesn't appear to be getting any worse.if you need more info, pls feel free to ask....just fyi...I also own mom and dad, she was the only kitten in this 'litter'. I could send a picture of the area if it would help...thanks I eagerly await what I should do...
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am sorry your poor little baby is not feeling well.

There are many possibilities so I will try to cover everything.

Anal glands:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/anal-glands-in-cats-2/page1.aspx

Shse could have coccidia or giardia or other parasites.

These protozoan parasites run rampant in shelters and pet stores and catteries and of course outdoors They are very common in cats .Most are born with them.Many cats harbor them without isues until the immune system weakens.

Coccidia:Giardia:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/giardiasis/factsht_giardia.htm

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/gia.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_coccidia.html

Metronidazole (flagyl) is scripted for these parasites. It must be given for ten straight days - the off a week and repeat another ten days.That is because the parasites shed cysts (eggs) that do not mature in a week hence the cat keeps becoming reinfected.

For very young kittens albon is the safe drug of choice.

Because of this lack of shedding into every stool, THREE separate tests are required to rule it out.

Of course stress is a factor.It allows opportunistic bacteria to take over.

She may just have bad bacteria.She could have a GI upset since this began suddenly

Give her one half teaspoon of plain yogurt every day. The acidophilus will keep "good" bacteria in her colon.If it is not strong enough get acidophilis for cats at a human health food store.It will firm the stool in only four doses (days).

If she gets dehydrated and hypoglycemic due to diarrhea - First put a drop of pancake syrup on her tongue to raise her blood sugar.

Add one tsp of infant rice cereal to her wet food at each meal.Or try some baby food chicken instead or cat food with no onion or garlic in the jar and a tsp of rice cereal.

Give her droppers of unflavored pedialye to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

in a pinch, you can make a temp electrolytes solution by adding an eighth of a tsp each of salt, sugar and pancake syrup to 12 oz of water.

To cure diarrhea:In review:

Boil two ounces of milk for one full minute - cool to room temp and give her one ounce.

Add cooked white rice or baby rice cereal to her food.

Give her daily acidophilis.

put vaseline on her behind three times day.

Cats cannot take any human OTC's because they are sensitive to the ingredients so we have to treat them holistically.

Please let me know how your baby is feeling. If you have any questions along the way, I will be always be here for you.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Warmest best wishes,

Terri