Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Do cats get flat worms and what do they look like when ...

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do cats get flat worms and what do they look like when expelled? My cat has a bunch of strange cream colored dried things in her bed and they don''t look like anything I''ve seen in or around the house. She''s an indoor/outdoor cat with no litter box.
Expert:  Reani replied 8 years ago.
Good Morning!

Sounds like your girl may have tapeworm. Worms can rob your cat of vital nutrients causing anemia, diarrhea, perhaps with blood; weight loss; dry hair; general poor appearance; and vomiting, perhaps with worms in the vomit. If left untreated the cat could die, so it is advisable to act on you observation.

If it looked like spaghetti, then it was most likely roundworm which can be treated with a wormer containing piperazine as it's active ingredient.

If it looked like a grain of rice, it is most likely tapeworm. Over the counter products will generally treat the tapeworms if there is Praziquantel in it.

However, the problem with over the counter treatments is that many aren't effective against ‘all' the possibilities. That's why a vet administered med is highly recommended. The vet can determine what kind of parasite (or parasites) your companion may have in addition to tapeworms and treat him accordingly with the latest prescription meds and accurate dose. Please see this link

Other parasite info:

All worms

I hope this helps you!
Warmest Wishes,