ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

throwing up white foam

No Comment Added
Category: Cat
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear your cat isn't feeling well. It may be difficult to treat at home if he/she continues to not be able to hold anything down. However, you can try, as long as he/she isn't too lethargic, unresponsive, or painful. It may just be some stomach upset, but if not clearing up soon, you'll want some diagnostics from your vet to rule out problems like infections, liver or kidney issues, or hyperthyroidism, to name just a few.

Wait at least 12 hours before feeding, a bit longer if still vomiting. Then you can try very very small amounts of a bland food, like Gerber baby food (chicken or turkey flavors are good) or boiled chicken. Just about a tsp or bit less.

If able to hold down, try again in an hour this same amt. If doing ok, do this for a few hrs, then about 1/2 a meal amount for his next meal time.

If doing ok, keep on bland diet for a couple of days, the gradually switch back to normal food. If not able to hold down anything down, he/she'll need a vet visit, as injectable medications will be called for. Also, make sure he/she's drinking water the entire time so as not to dehydrate, and keep him/her indoors while recuperating.

Best of luck, hope your cat is better in no time!

Christine

Experience: Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not find this answer helpful at all, as my cat is not throwing up his food, but is throwing up white foam. (This is a big difference.) I do not accept paying for this answer, although I appreciate that the intention was sincere on your part.
No one claimed your cat was throwing up food. White foam is liquid (body water and saliva) which can dehydrate your cat. There's no difference in the fact that things that should stay down are not. It quickly turns into not being able to hold down food after time. Certainly you can ignore this, but when he gets that bad, do realize it'll take a lot more to get him back to health and hydrated. Good luck and hope he's better soon.
Additional note: don't forget to call the oncologist when the office opens to let them know, as this is a common side effect of chemo (I'm assuming CCNU at this point?) as well as lymphoma.