Micki
Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.

My cat has white thin worms coming from his anus. I gave ...

My cat has white thin worms coming from his anus. I gave him Erliworm tablets that have 100mg of piperazine base as pipeazine dihydrochloride.

Is this the right thing and he sleeps in my bed - is that safe? thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Micki replied 6 years ago.

Hello,Customer/p>

What does the erliworm say it treats in terms of worms it kills? When did you start him on the medication?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It says it is safe and effective treatment for the control of toxacara canis and toxacaris leonina. And it mentions roundworms which I guess is the same thing.

We gave him 2 100mg tablets (he's 7lbs) 48 hours ago and the box says to repeat this treatment after 10 days from the intial dosage.
Expert:  Micki replied 6 years ago.

Yes, this is treatment for round worms only. I suggest using a wormer that treats multiple types of worms, since you haven't had the parasites identified by a vet.

Homeopet wrm clear treats round, hook and tape worms.

Of course the prescription medications from a vet do work better and faster.

Keep the litter box clean every day. Flush the stools down your toilet. Wash your hands really good after cleaning the box. Direct handling of the stool is where cross contamination occurs.

If your still seeing worms after 10-14 days of treatment, you will need to obtain a prescription wormer from your vet.

Sincerely, Micki

Experience: Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Miki. We are living in Afghanistan so it might be best to know the active ingredients we are looking for as opposed to a brand name. Can you give me those?

And again, what about the cat sharing my pillow? Can he give me the worms?
Expert:  Micki replied 6 years ago.

If your seeing live active worms in the fur or around the anus, I wouldn't let him sleep with me as a precaution.

Active ingredients in multi wormers are:

Gran., Kamala, Chen. Anth., Filix M. Cuc. Pepo, Cina, Spig. A., Teuc. M., Thymol, Nux. V., Arsen Alb

Just look for wormers that state treat round, hook, and tape worm. Ingredients may vary from brand name to brands name. PLus I don't know what you have available to you where you are. If you have feed and seed stores, that is the place to look.

If you have any way to obtain the prescription Drontal, that is the best medication to try. But again this is a prescription here in the states.