Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
1484153

My cat throws up his food after using the his kitty litter.

Customer Question

My cat throws up his food after using the his kitty litter. This oes not happen all the time. I have changed his litter and his food. His vet drew blood about a month ago and his liver enzymes were out of range, he was put on antibiotics and they went back into range but he is still throwing up ocassionally after using his kitty litter. Any ideas what the problem is?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

How old is your cat?

Does this happen when having a bowel movement or when urinating?

Is he urinating a normal amount?

Does he make frequent trips to the litter box?

Is he excessively large or overweight?

How many times a day does he have a bowel movement?

How does he act otherwise?

Theresa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dont know his age (we found him) but as near as we and his vet figured he is about 8-10 years. We have had him for most of those years.

It usually happens after a bowel movement. He seems to be urinating his normal amount. He does not frequent trips to the litter box.

He is not large or overweight.

Dont really know about the number of bowel movements in a day

Otherwise he is acting normal, still playful and loving and still begging for food. One more thing, the vet said the next step would be to biopsy his liver to see what the problem is.
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

I wonder if he is constipated. It isn't enough that his liver enzymes are up which can result in nausea but if he is having trouble passing stool too this also can cause nausea and vomiting. If his liver enzymes are still elevated or if you are concerned about this I would consider picking up some milk thistle. This will help to treat the liver and detox it. It could also help improve bowel movements though I would recommend you use a hairball remedy for this like petromalt. Both of these are good for the liver so it won't hurt to try it.

Before biopsying the liver I would have an ultrasound performed. And if he hasn't been tested for feline leukemia or FIV then we need to do so. My biggest concern is that there may be an issue with lymphoma. A biopsy would be a good idea if these issues continue and the hairball medication is not helping.

As for the milk thistle: your vet should have a product called denamarin or at least he can order if for you. This contains both SAMe and milk thistle to help the liver function better.

Theresa

Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience: 19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: I will can try the milk thistle but he was already on a detox pill from the vet. The name of it is Denosyl
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.
Good then just add the milk thistle to this.... this would be the same as denamarin
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you