Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 186+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dogs testicles are swollen, what could be the problem

my dogs testicles are swollen, what could be the problem? Should I take hime to the vet?

A dog's testicles can become swollen for numerous reasons. It can be caused by an injury, which allowed microorganisms to enter the testicles. Some diseases like influenza or distemper can cause swelling.

There is a disorder called Hydrocele which allows fluid to accumulate in the scrotum. A dog's testicles can also twist causing swelling and sudden pain. This is called Testicular Torsion. The testicles are also a site that can be affected by tumors as well in intact males.

If your dog's testicles are swollen you really need to take your dog into the vet to determine the cause and receive treatment.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I should have mentioned that he has had shots this past week (for rabies, distemper, parainfluenza, adrenovirus, coronavirus, & leptospirosis). Is it a possible allergic reaction? He doesn't seem to be in pain & acts normal.

Is this something that is an emergency?? Our vets around here don't like to be "disturbed" on a weekend. But I will take him in now if I need to.

That would not be a normal reaction to vaccination. You can read about vaccination reactions here:

Severe reactions are sudden onset of diarrhea, vomiting, swelling of the face and non-responsiveness. If these signs occur you should contact your vet immediately. They normally occur within 24 hours. Your vet may recommend benadryl at up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. You can read about this here:

You can try the benadryl, but I don't believe this is a reaction to a vaccination. I hope you find this information helpful.