Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cats right eye is shut smaller than the other

My cat''s right eye is shut smaller than the other one and there seems to be more pus coming out of it
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Hi,'

Has the eye been injured?

how long is it like this?

does she go outside or have a playmate?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It just started today, she does not go outside. She has discovered the kitchen sink and seems to always want to be around my food. Does this help?
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry your baby is not feeling well.

If the eye was injured and the cornea was scratched, she needs to see a vet.She could lose sight and even the eye without special medication.

However,if it is just irritated, has a foreign object or conjunctivitis,

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_herpes_viral_conjunctivitis.html

http://www.thensome.com/herpes.htm

get Terramycin ointment. Some pet supplys and human drug stores carry it - but call first or http://www.revivalanimal.com/

In the meantime, apply a damp teabag three times a day.Try to flush with sterile saline for contact lens wearers available in drug stores.

She may also have a quarter of a chlortrimetin tablet every 12 hours also sold in drug stores OTC.

If you see any colored mucus (green, yellow) it mens the infection is bacterial and will respond to an antibiotic - I reccomend Clavamox for eye issues.

As long as she is eating this is only an emergency if there is a possibiity of an injury.

If she is sneezing (which an injury would not cause), it is most likely an upper respiratory infection and or conjunctivitis..

Most cats "act sick" by not eating - that is always a sure sign

Please let me know how your baby is feeling and if you still have questions.I will always be here for you

I hope she feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is yellow mucous coming out and the ring around her eye is more pink now than before and than the other one.. she is eating just fine, do you have to get the antibiotic if it is bacterail infection from the vet?
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Yes, you can only get antibiotics from a vet that has seen the cat in person.

You can try the terramycin first as you can get that OTC.

If money is an issue www.carecredit.com may finance the visit.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX something that is urgant or can it wait until Monday? Is it painful for Josie?
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Its hard to say without seeing her but if she is eating she is probably not in pain.Use the damp teabag three times a day and see if it gives her relief.

Let me know how she is doing. I will be here all weekend.

Best wishes,

Terri