Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 years working, treating and loving small and exotic big cats, 5 yrs as an animal control officer
1527314

Ambien and my cat

Customer Question

My cat is about 12 lbs and he ate an 10 mg Ambien. Will this hurt him? What should I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Animal Eyes replied 8 years ago.
How long ago did he swallow it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It has about an 1 hr he is meowing and still awake
Expert:  Dr. KB replied 8 years ago.
You need to call the ASPCA poison control line at(NNN) NNN-NNNN There is a charge but you will speak to a veterinary toxicologist that can advise you on this drug and any problems it may cause and any recommended therapy.
If you can make him vomit you can hopefully get most of the pill out before it dissolves completely. You will need to make him swallow 2 tablespoons of peroxide, if he doesn't vomit then repeat this again in a half hour. If nothing at that time then contact poison control and see what other options that you may have. If he doesn't vomit try to get him seen by an emergency vet. They can give him some medications that will help keep him from absorbing all of the medication. Hopefully with the vomiting he will get the pill out and any that made it into his system would be such a low dose that it wouldn't need to be worried about. Get him to vomit and go from there.
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25 years working, treating and loving small and exotic big cats, 5 yrs as an animal control officer
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to fixnpets's Post: I thought that is what you are . This is a waste of my time . Thanks any way
Expert:  Dr. KB replied 8 years ago.

This is not a poison control board. This is a help board for people with veterinary questions.

Calling that number is XXXXX safest thing to do vomiting is contraindicated in some toxicities.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Went to emg vetXXXXX they kept over nite. They didnt have to do any thing he is fine. Better to be safe than sorry but its showes there is not much info on cats an Ambien. Thanks for trying to help.