Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat is vomiting and meowing as in pain

It hard to give more detail as the cat spends the day outside and comes in at nite. He is a stray that we have been feeding and gaining his trust. He just started to come inside at nite and has been ok. He will lets us know when he want to go out. Last nite he was laying next to me and got up and went to the door and his meow was not like any we have heard before and he threw up before he reached the door. It looked like everything that was in his stomach I opened the door and he went out for the rest of the nite. Today I heard him meowing the same way as last nite and he is laying down more than usual.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

Since your cat spends most of his time outside, it would be difficult for you to know if he's urinating and defecating normally, unless you also have a litterbox inside. From your description, it sounds like he either has a urinary infection and/or blockage, which is a medical emergency in male cats, or he might have an intestinal obstruction and can't have a b.m. Unless you've seen him eliminate since last night, I'm suspecting these problems.

It's also possible that he has ingested a toxic substance or non-food item, and this is making him feel sick and have stomach pain/nausea.

A visit to an ER vet center, ASAP, would be your best course of action. Mention that he's a 'RESCUE' cat who was a stray you've been feeding, and you noticed these symptoms; they might reduce the fee, if they know you're trying to help him.

I hope he'll be fine!