Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in small animal and emergency veterinary medicine.

Sick cat after being neutered and having vaccines

Customer Question

Our 9 month old male cat, which we got about 2 months ago from a local Vet''s office, was neutered last Wed. (6 days ago), along w/ a normal exam, blood tests, and 2 vaccines--rabies and distemper (I think). He was a high energy very loving cat. When we brought him home on Wed. after being at the vets office he was happy to be home and playing. We were concerned about the incision (we opted for the laser surgery), and tried to limit his jumping. On Thursday he pretty much layed low, which they told us to expect. Ate on Wed. night but that was the last time we have seen him eat. But then on Thursday night and Friday he started throwing up yellow foam. Took him back to the vet on Friday--no fever, just thought it may be taking him longer to come out of the anesthia. Saturday same thing--still throwing up, not eating. Took back to the vet--gave him fluids. He is such a laid back cat but at the vet he is a monster. So even though they tried to give him fluids I don''t know how much they got in him before he bent the needle. So now it is Tuesday--he just lays there, normally now laying behind a door, won''t eat, stopped throwing up for a day, but now it is back. Drinking some water--from our fish tank, but won''t even touch wet or dry food. I don''t know if we should take him to the e/r vet--or wait until tomorrow. Not a clue what this could be. Please help!! Thank you!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer-

This is not a just a prolonged recovery from anesthesia, and at this point I would be getting worried about dehydration. Also, cats are prone to getting a condition called hepatic lipidosis (also called fatty liver) if they go very long without eating, so it is really important that we get this cat eating again very quickly.

I would strongly recommend having him seen at the emergency clinic today rather than waiting until tomorrow. The symptoms are not specific enough to suggest any particular problem, but the problem has been going on long enough for this to be really worrisome. It is good that blood work prior to the surgery was normal, but things can change pretty quickly in cats, and the emergency clinic will probably want to do some blood work and possibly some x-rays to try to find out what is causing the vomiting. This would be a good way of getting a second opinion as well, rather than just going back to your regular vet. Also, sometimes cats will be more handleable if they go to a place they have never been before so he may be better behaved at this different clinic.

I hope this information is helpful. If so, please click Accept. If you have additional questions I can help you with, please let me know.

Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience: I have over 20 years experience in small animal and emergency veterinary medicine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi--
Wanted to let you know that we took Jack in to the E/R vet. They did some tests--he was severly dehydrated and they did blood tests and found that his kidney functions were off. So they did a cath and found that his urine was diluted which was not normal for a cat w/ severe dehydration. They are thinking this is a reaction to the anestesia and he is just one of those cats this happens to. He is staying overnite at the animal hosp.--then will be transferred to our reg. vet in the a.m. They are going to give him at least 48 hours of fluids--& then hoping he can come home. Did an ultrasound to check for cysts--didn't find any--thank goodness. I am just wondering why my reg. vet never thought of this--especially since we were there 2x. Thanks for your advice. Glad we took it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 years ago.

Hi Scrapping Queen -

Thanks for the update. I'm really glad they were aable to help your little kitty and I hope he is feeling better. I really appreicate your taking the time to let me know how things worked out for you.

Thanks for using Just Answer!