Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue
3350763

Is feline stomatitis contagious

Customer Question

Can a cat with feline stomatitis pass it on to other cats?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.
Good Morning!

Stomatitis in itself is not contagious. When a cat has tomatitis is is usually because either the cat has an allergy to the plaque and bacterila buildup on his own teeth, causing chronic inflammation, or his immune system is suppressed by another disease which may or may not be contagious. Really it depends on why the cat has stomatitis...if it is an allergy or sensitivity to something that is causing it, then no, it is not contagious. However if it is something such as feline leukemia. For more info, click here.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Warmest Wishes,
Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience: 20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I was pretty sure this was the answer, but the vets seemed surprised that I have several older cats with this problem. As a rescue, I see and have more older cats that some, so the incident increases with the numbers. The vet made me feel as if I was doing something wrong, but all these cats have been tested for felv/fiv and are negative. They also have had bloodwork and show no signs of fip, so with all that off the table, and no known food allergies are present, I must conclude that these are just unlucky older cats. Getting the vets to extract the teeth has been a real fight. The depomedrol and antibiotics have only been marginally successful and is becoming quite costly. How do I get the local vets to help these poor babies.
Thank you
Bonnie Breton
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.
Hi Bonnie,

Stomatitis is not really something that they can test for and confirm, it is usually diagnosed when all other causes are ruled out. It's important not to mistake simple gum disease for stomatitis, which is very common in older cats. Most vets prefer to do a cleaning and scaling along with removing any teeth that are decayed and see what happens. If the inflammation recurs quickly, then removing the teeth may be the right choice. All cats will develop gum disease as they get older, as they don't brush! Adding some dry food to their diet can also be beneficial as the crunching can help keep the teeth cleaner. Removal of all the teeth should only be done if the problem is chronic and infection does not clear up after a dental and possibly antibiotics. Since they are rescues, I doubt they will let you brush their teeth. Depending on their age, your vet may not want to put them under the stress of anesthesia, which is another reason he may be hesitating at your request for removal of the teeth. Really this is a last resort option, so it is important to find out why your vet feels that removing the teeth is not the way to go, and what he thinks the best course of action is.

Hope that helps you...I know this is a hard choice, but it is important to know why your vet is resisting. And please do not feel like this is something that you did, you know in your heart that it is not!

Warmest wishes,
Reani