Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets

i was just told my 8 year cat has lymphoma. How long ...

i was just told my 8 year cat has lymphoma. How long will he live? would you use radiation for treament?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 8 years ago.

Hi there...I'm sorry to hear that your cat is not well.

There are several different types of lymphoma in cats. The good news is that of all of the different cancers that cats can get, lymphoma is the most treatable. There are several chemotherapy protocols that work well, and cats usually don't get sick on chemotherapy - they handle it quite well.

Most of the time we don't use radiation for lymphoma, but I suppose it is possible if there was a large tumor somewhere where surgery would be difficult to remove it.

If your cat is relatively healthy then I think there is a good chance for remission with the appropriate treatment and he can live a long time. If he is already quite ill with disease, then obviously the life span would be shorter.

Here is some more excellent information on lymphoma in cats:

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions, just hit reply. Or, if my answer is sufficient, please hit accept. Thanks!

Dr. Marie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You are correct it was radiation. His one kidney is in the middle of the tumor, but other kidney working fine. Do you still think with raditation he could live a few more years?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sorry I mean chemo
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 8 years ago.

Ah, sorry to hear that this is renal lymphoma.

I just did some research for you on the prognosis for cats with renal lymphoma. There is a 70% remission rate for this disease when treated with chemo. The average survival time is 6-9 months, however some can live much longer. If your cat is positive for feline leukemia this means that the survival time is shorter - more like 2-3 months.

If he is responding well so far, then this is a good sign. I hope he does ok!

Dr. Marie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is renal lymphoma the type around the kidney? The vet said his kidney could return to normal size possibly after one radiation treatment. Is he in pain or discomfort?what would you recommend
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 8 years ago.

Yes, renal lymphoma is lymphoma around the kidney. And yes, your vet is right that cats often respond very quickly to treatment.

It is often hard to tell if a cat is in pain, but most likely your guy is not. He may feel a little unwell, but it doesn't sound like he is suffering at all. If his appetite is good then this is a great sign.

It sounds like your vet is quite knowledgable in the treatment of this disease and I think you are in good hands. I would advise to keep going with treatment. Really, the only reason not to do it right now is cost. Your cat will let you know if he is suffering and if he is eating ok then he is doing alright.

Hope this helps!
Dr. Marie