Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat has a little bump on his head between his ears.

My cat has a little bump on his head between his ears. It is a hard bump that feels like a bone. Any ideas what it could be and should I take him to the vet?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

How old is your cat?

Does he go outside?

Does it seem to bother him when you touch it or press on it?

Do you have any other cats or pets?

Thanks for your additional detail.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He's almost 2 years old. He doesn't go outside. He's only been outdoors about a dozen times in the last year. When I press it he doesn't notice.

I have one other cat and one dog. Both of the other animals go outside all the time.

Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hi again, Mike, and thanks for your additional information and your patience!

It sounds like this bump may be a nodule from a wound healing, possibly causing a scab, or leaving him with a 'knot' on his head, after a trauma, or from a 'love' bite from one of his pet companions. But, it could also be a natural growth which needs to be evaluated by the vet. Cats can develop various types of lumps and bumps on and under the skin, and the vet would be able to determine if it's nothing serious, or if it needs to be biopsied or have a needle aspiration, to remove a few cells for analysis. The fact that it doesn't seem to bother him when you touch it, is good, and don't worry too much until you get a definite diagnosis from the vet and you know exactly what it is. If it's harmless and benign, most likely nothing will be done. If the vet feels it may develop into something more serious, removal will be suggested. Here's some detailed information re: lumps and bumps on and under cats' skin:

Have your cat evaluated by the vet, ASAP, and please let me know the diagnosis. I hope all will be well!