Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue

My kitten has really bad gas, and her feces smell really ...

My kitten has really bad gas, and her feces smell really bad. Could this be a sign of worms?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 6 years ago.

Hi There,

How old is your kitten?

Was she adopted from a shelter?

How long has she been this way?

Standing by to help...

Reani

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Reani's Post: Im guessing her to be around 6 mo. old. She was a stray that showed up at out house about 2 months ago. We had her treated for worms when we got her but maybe she needs more treatment. She has been inside ever since. We have 2 other cats, one of which comes and goes as he pleases. She is going to the vet later this month but if she has worms I will take her sooner.
Expert:  Reani replied 6 years ago.

It could be worms but it could also be a protzoan parasite called Giardia. Worms can reinfest after treatment as larvea in the stomach can re-hatch if the life cycle has not been broken.

Giardia can cause the symptoms you are seeing, and is very common with shelter or stray kitties. It is also common in her age group. Other parasites could be to blame as well, so it would be a good idea to have her checked. Giardia must be specifically looked for by the veterinarian as it will not show on a normal fecal exam, so if she has been checked for worms, they would not necessarily have found it. Be sure to mention the stinkiness and gas to your vet.

Thank you for taking in this lucky girl! Please let me know how it goes!

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience: 20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue