Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 30 years working w/Cats

candle wax on cat hair

cat jump onto cabinet and onto a candle that was out with wax still soft. candle wax is all in his hair. he's a maincoone ie long hair. what a mess, he's freaking out. he didn't get burned but the wax is everywhere
Category: Cat
Expert:  Christina Purtee replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Wow I can only imagine, the mess you are trying to deal with. Would you be willing to shave him?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Christina,
Yeah its pretty crazy right now. If need be yes we'll have him shaved but the immediate concern is him licking the wax off(candle was patchouli scented)will be harmful to him? i'm gettng mixed info off of the net. Do you have any thoughts on that?
I had a similar situation happen with my yorkie. He actually ate candlewax from my candle burner and had it all over his face. I called the Animal Poison control and they informed me, that he would be fine. Other than that situation, I have not had any animals come into our clinic with this problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you know of any instance of patchouli being toxic to cats? do you have any informtation on that?
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

I was asked to try and help you with this problem. There are several solutions that may help. The first is if your kitty does not get scared of a Blow dryer you can use a metal fine toothed comb and a blow dryer to warm the hair and comb it out. The second option again is a comg that has been heated and to combe through the hair removing the majority of the wax. the last suggestion is to use Mayonnaise in the kitty's hair and comb it though. The mayo should break down the wax with the oils in it and you can comb it through to remove the wax. These are not guaranteed, but worth a try vs shaving the kitty. After the mayo you can bathe the kitty in Blue Dawn dish soap to remove the excess. Mayo. The Patchouli is a natural essential oil and can be toxic if taken in quanity, but we do not know what the concentration is in the amount of wax on your kitty. The best soulution is to try and get the wax removed asap. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Jav917 - do you know if the patchouli is at all toxic? Actually it was a patchouli, lavender, rosewood scented candle. From what i've read on net the levels of those oils that would be in a scented candle would not be toxic but there are alot of mixed information out - there any thoughts? you guys are great i'll definetly give a satisfacory acceptance..chris
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Hello Chris,

Your Kitty should be okay as far as toxicty, but must be very uncomfortable gooming. Here is a link about removing the wax. I am concerned if your baby starts swallowing the wax and it causes problems in the intestinal tract. I hope this helps. Joan

http://www.ehow.com/how_2068546_remove-wax-pet-fur.html

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you so much! Our major concern was the toxicity. we were trying a version of the wax removal process last night which was somewhat successful. i guess we'll keep it up? there aren't actually clumps of wax anymore that he would swallow but more like matted hair which he keeps licking. i think if we follow the removal instructions we'll get there. he hates water and right now is looking a little nappy...i think more embarassed than anything ;)

not sure if you'll get this if i just hit accept so i'm hitting reply first :)
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Hope all is well, so if you need me just hit reply! Happy Holidays! Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech 30 years working w/Cats
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Hello Chris,

Wanted to see how your Kitty was doing? Hope all the wax is gone and things are back to normal. Joan