Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets
6877700

What are the health problems of Adult Calico female Cats

No Comment Added
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question.

I don't think that calico cats are any more prone to health problems than any other coat colour. "Calico" is not a breed description but just a description of the coat colour.

Personally, I have a theory that calico cats are usually more vocal and expressive than other coloured cats, but I don't think anyone has scientifically proven that!

If you have a more specific question about your cat, just hit reply.

Dr. Marie

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Marie's Post: are calico cats more prone to urinary tract problems. we also had a problem in that our cat did not drink any liquids = we tried all milks, never touched water and even gave her chicken broth fat free low sodium. we lost her to luekima. we love calico cats as they indeed are friendly and vocal. please reply
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.

So sorry to hear that your girl did not do well. The answer to your question is no, calico cats are not more prone to these problems.

Hope this answers your question. Again...if you have a more specific question, just hit reply.

Dr. Marie

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there a cat that is more likely to be healthy for instance - a tabby cat - or a special breed like Russian Blue. We hope to adopt but need some guidance so that we don't go through the pain of losing another cat.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.

In my experience, usually the non-purebred cats are healthier. Most purebred cats come from a small gene pool which means that they are more prone to health problems. (However, this is not always the case).

I don't believe the colour of the cat will make any difference. It sounds like you had an unfortunate situation, but I don't think anyone could have predicted that this would have happened to your cat based on her breed or coat colour.

If possible, if you can find a cat whose parentage is known that would be good. You could have an increased risk for feline leukemia or other viruses if one or more of the parents was a stray.

Also, as soon as you get your cat have your vet do a good thorough health check and continue to follow his or her advice on regular vet checks.

I hope you enjoy your new pet!

Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience: Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets