Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  Vet assistant, cat lover, owner and rescuer

Do dogs vomit when they are pregnant

Customer Question

My 3 yr old white lab/collie mix has been running off to visit our neighbor pup.Ever since, I have been noticing her throwing up a lot lately, and she is getting larger up by her rib cage, but no nipples.Please explain.She does go to the dr. on Monday, so I am a good mommy ;-)
Category: Cat
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 8 years ago.
Is she throwing up undigested food? Can she hold down water? How often does she vomit?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Bully Breeder's Post: No, its like she is throwing up melted vanilla icecream..which she doesnt eat.She has been drinking a lot of water,but she normally doesnt throw up at any specific time, its random, like about 10 minutes ago and she didnt even eat anything, she just woke up.I would say its about 2 maybe 3 times a day.Oh and she,for whatever reason wont play with her auntie scooter, and they love to run and jump and play. I am just nervous about it.Thanks for replying so fast.
Hello, I doubt at this point hat it could be a pregnancy issue unless she has been in heat recently. Most dogs will have some sort of morning sickness like effect after they have become p[regnant and they are in the first trimester. This is usually before they start to show on the outside. I would be concerned that she has either a pyometra which is an infection in the uterus itself or some sort of foreign object in her belly given that she is distended in the abdomen. The pyometra is where pus will fill the uterus and cause severe infection which caused the distended abdomen., vomiting, lack of energy, high water consumption, and loss of appetite in some cases as well. The foreign body could be anything that she could have eaten that is of a non food material that has become lodged into the belly which causes irritation and blockage of food and water. The bloated abdomen can be another sign along with the vomiting and loss of energy as well. I would suggest having a vet take a look at her and do some x-rays to see if she has anything in her stomach that is blocking things or if her uterus is enlarged and filled with fluid. In either cases surgery will more than likely be required to fix the issues. If you can move your appointment up from Monday to sooner than I would as both conditions can be serious in nature and will require medical treatment. I hope this will help you but if you need anything else be sure to let me know.