NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care

is it okay to use vicks vapor rub to help relieve ...

Customer Question

is it okay to use vicks vapor rub to help relieve congestion in my cats suffering from a herpes breakout? they are all still eating and drinking,but constantly sneezing or trying to clear their noses.
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
As cats are apt to lick off anything you put on them it might be a better choice to get them in a steamy bathroom to break up congestion and use sterile saline to clean eyes and noses of mucous.
A vaporizer with no meds in it can also help when used in a room the cats are frequently in.
Vicks irritates cats enough that some use it as a deterrent when teaching the cat to stay away from an area so I just wouldn't use it on them while they are ill.
You can read about this sort of upper respiratory problem here
Hope this helps you!