Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Is there a safe otc decongestant to use for my otherwise ...

Is there a safe otc decongestant to use for my otherwise healthy, 11lb cat? She is on cephalexin and chlortrimaton for a URI. My vet won't be open again for two days and she sounds so congested.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Good morning,

Chlortrimaton IS an OTC decongestant and the only one safe for cats.

Allcats carry upper respiratory virus on their own fur. Cats that live together become immune to the carried strain but as soon as the bacterium is exposed to another cat it will infect them. If this baby was exposed to other cats she likely contracted it from them or the stress

Feed her very odorous food so she can smell it and will keep eating. If she gets dehydrated, as a result of producing mucus.Give her a few droppers of unflavored pedialyte througout the day to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

She can have theclortrimeton - every 12 hours if she iscongested. You can also take her in a steamy bathroom where you have run a hot shower to break it up.For the eyes get Terramycin ointment. some pet supplies have it but call first or order from http://www.revivalanimal.com/

If she developes any colored mucus that means the infection has turned bacterial and will respond to a better antibiotic.Some vets script one even if it is viral to prevent secondary infections like pneumonia

Please let me know how she is feeling. If you get worried I will always be here to help further.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Would prefere to have a second opinion from a cat expert I thought Chlortrimaton was an antihistimine not a decongestant.
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Somehow your question got posted in dogs - so you saw my canine profile.I will try to change it to cats category,I am the head feline expert with over 5200 cat accepts

Terri Riba (Online) -- Feline Healthcare Expert -- 100% Positive Feedback on 5260 Cat Accepts

Chloretrimeton is an antihistamine and a decongestant and the ony human OTC safe for cats.Some vets will allow benedryl but only under supervision.

Please let me know if you still have questions.I will aways be here for you and your baby.

Terri