Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

what are the effects of overdose of amoxicillin in a cat

30 min. after dosing amoxicillin 250/5ml (mistaken for 125/5ml) severe vomiting began. Didn't realize mistake in dosing until after visit to emergency vet. They ran all of the tests and everything was normal. I need to know how this may have harmed her.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 9 years ago.
Your girl should be fine since she vomited soon after ingestion. If this were my cat; however, I would avoid any type of penicillin based antibiotics in the future as she may develop an intolerance to the medication. I would stick with products such as Baytril or Clindimycin -depending on the issue being dealt with. There should be no permanent damage from the accidental overdose. You got things under control and dealt with quickly. Great job! If everything appears normal with your vet's testing, then you should not have to worry since this was a one time issue.