Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  Vet assistant, cat lover, owner and rescuer

my cat is pulling out the hair on his tail and ...

my cat is pulling out the hair on his tail and revealing red spots. this has been going on for awhile. he does not seem stressed or unhappy. he just pulls out his fur.
Hello, this can be due to parasites in the skin like fleas or mites. I would look your baby over very well to see if you see nay type of fleas or flea dirt (small black specs that are mixed in with the fur and close to the skin). If you see either one of those things then there are fleas in the environment or on your baby. The fleas can cause an allergic reaction and make your cat itch and pull at the hair in an attempt to rid the fleas from the area. I would suggest applying a flea product like Frontline or Revolution to your baby and possibly bombing the house to get rid of the fleas and help control his destructive behavior to him self. If no fleas or flea dirt is visible then it could be small tiny mites living on the skin or a possible fungal infection on the skin. I would have your vet take a look at the skin and the tail and possible do a skin scrape and or fungal culture to try and determine the best course of treatment. I hope this will help you but if you need anything else be sure to let me know.