ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

My cat got into motor oil, its all over her fur; how ...

Customer Question

My cat got into motor oil, it's all over her fur; how do I get it off and is it toxic for her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 9 years ago.

Has she licked any of it?

She couldn't have gotten antifreeze also, could she?

How is she acting?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ChristineLVT's Post: I tried to bath her, but it's SO thick. She's trying to lick it and I'm trying to stop her. No atnifreeze, just moved into new house and looks like someone changed car oil and just left bucket of disposed oil out back that I didn't notice and cat jumped in out of curiosity. Will take to vet monday morning and maybe have her shaved/bathed, but what about tonight? She's acting normal, just pissed that I tried to give her a bath.

It's very important you prevent her licking it, as it is indeed toxic if ingested. If you have to, wrap a small t-shirt around her neck while bathing. Your best bet is continual bathing with Dawn dish detergent, as it guts oil and grease better than anything else. A vet visit Monday is a great idea to shave and also make sure the skin looks ok, but you just have to drudge trough the bathing tonight and make absolute sure she can't reach to lick. If she does, it is caustic and vomiting should NOT be induced. Instead, she will need an emergency vet for that. She'll likely get madder and madder, and the t-shirt, wrapped as far down as the legs, can at least help prevent you from getting scratched and bit as well. Hopefully there is someone around to help (or run to the store for Dawn).

Christine