Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has severe diarrhea. I took him to vet Friday and ...

My cat has severe diarrhea. I took him to vet Friday and he was tested for HIV and feline lukemina and gaurdia a parasite and tests were negative. he was given flagel and antibotic for the gaurdia, but today the dr. called and said tests negative. can the antibotic make the diarrhea worse, such as explosive and is there any medication that I can give him to stop or slow down the diarrhea. I h ave an appointment Monday for further blood tests on him.
Submitted: 7 years ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi Martha,

how old is he?

how long does he have diarrhea?

what does he eat?

indoor kitty?

Thanks,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi Martha,

how old is he?

how long does he have diarrhea?

what does he eat?

indoor kitty?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Cookie is 3 years old and has had diarrhea for a maybe a couple of weeks. Lately he seems hungry all of the time. he eats dry Eucunuba, dry fancy feast. Wet fancy feast, all fish, flaked, and the new kind with greens. He is indoor only and only goes out when he goes to the Vet. His diarrhea was watery before, but after giving him the antibotic it has become explosive and smells terrible and tonight he got it all over himself and I had to wash his feet and bottom and he hates water. so it is very bad. The doctor plans to run blood tests on monday to check his kidney and liver. he has not eaten any thing like plants or any strange food. Thank you I hope you can help Cookie, he is so sweet and wonderful.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Please stand by, I am typing detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

I am so sorry your baby is not feeling well.

There are many possibilities so I will try to cover everything.

He could have coccidia or giardia,even if he tested negative. I will expain why.

These protozoan parasites run rampant in shelters and pet stores and catteries They are very common in cats .Most are born with them.Many cats harbor them without isues until the immune system weakens,

Coccidia:Giardia:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/giardiasis/factsht_giardia.htm

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/gia.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_coccidia.html

Metronidazole (flagyl) is scripted for these parasites. It must be given for ten straight days - the off a week and repeat another ten days.That is because the parasites shed cysts (eggs) that do not mature in a week hence the cat keeps becoming reinfected.

Because of this lack of shedding into every stool, THREE separate tests are required to rule it out.

Of course stress is a factor.It allows opportunistic bacteria to take over.

He may just have bad bacteria.

Give him one half teaspoon of plain yogurt every day. The acidophilus will keep "good" bacteria in his colon.If it is not strong enough get acidophilis for cats at a human health food store.It will firm the stool in only four doses (days).

If he gets dehydrated and hypoglycemic due to diarrhea - First put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to raise his blood sugar.

Next, begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.Add one tsp of infant rice cereal to a can of wet food at each meal.

Make a temp electrolytes solution by adding an eighth of a tsp each of salt, sugar and pancake syrup to 12 oz of water.

To cure diarrhea:In review:

Boil two ounces of milk - cool to room temp and give him one ounce.

Add cooked white rice or baby rice cereal to his food.

Cats cannot take any human OTC's because they are sensitive to the ingredients so we have to treat him holistically.Yes antibiotics can cause diarrhea but flagyl usually cures it not makes it worse.

Please let me know how Cookie is feeling. If you have any questions along the way, I will be always be here for you.

I hope your baby feels better very soon.

Warmest best wishes,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.