How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 20975
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, are liquid laundry detergents toxic to cats My kitten ...

Customer Question

Hi, are liquid laundry detergents toxic to cats? My kitten got arm & hammer spilled on herself and is wheezing. we did try to wash it off. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hi,

Yes, if ingested, the detergent can be toxic to cats. Did you give her a 'full' bath, to remove all of the detergent? If not, do that now, in warm water, and don't let her get a chill. Did she lick herself at all, before you could bathe her? If so, she ingested the detergent and this will cause a health problem for her.

How old is your kitten? Has she vomited at all? Did the detergent contain bleach?

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article_toxicfoodforpets.htm

After you bathe her, give her some watered down milk to drink, and watch her breathing. If she's struggling for breath, bring her to the nearest ER vet center, now. If she's coughing and slightly wheezing every now and then, monitor her to see if it improves, and if not, she'll have to be seen by the ER vet. Call the ANIMAL POISON CONTROL CENTER
888-4ANI-HELP(NNN) NNN-NNNN, if you need more information, as they have a list of every product and what it contains, and can tell you for sure, what symptoms to expect. There is a charge for the call.

I hope she'll be fine!

Cher
Cher and 2 other Cat Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not vomited and the detergent didn't contain bleach.She is not struggling for breath, only wheezing now and then. We saturated her adn blotted as well as we could with towels. I will bath her again and the milk seems like a very good idea.
Thanks again.Jill
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hi again, Jill, and you're most welcome! Thanks very much for your accept.

I hope she continues to do well, and yes, getting all that detergent off her is most important; just keep rinsing, rinsing, rinsing, with warm water, until she no longer feels soapy, then towel dry her. Also, you can comb her while she's wet, to remove any more residue which remains.

Make sure not to get any water (detergent) in her ears, eyes, nose or mouth; if she got the detergent on her face/head, use a washcloth in that area.

Cher