Missy Zane
Missy Zane, Many years as cat sitter & rescuer
Experience:  A lifetime of living with & loving cats; specializing in behavior and outdoor cats
4040999

why dos my cat scratch at its water bowl before

Customer Question

why do's my cat scratch at its water bowl before drinking water and some times scratches the floor in front of it ive done everything to try to get him to stop i placed carpet down under his dish's make sure there is fresh water about 5 to 6 times daily and still nothing can you give me some pointers on getting him to stop only because he will do it for about an hour before drinking his water and some times it looks like hes very mad at it thanks lori macinnes
Submitted: 7 years ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Missy Zane replied 7 years ago.
Hi Lori...

Do you still need help with this? How long has the cat lived with you? Has he always done this?

Missy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Missy Zane's Post: he is 4 monts old and had him since birth and yes he started about three monts ago
Hi...

Thanks for the additional information. Since he's still so little, he might just think the water's fun to play with. Or maybe he's not quite sure what it's for.

My first suggestion would be to get him a Drinkwell Pet Fountain. He'll be able to play with the running water to his heart's content, and the moving water in the bowl will get his interest and encourage him to drink. Most pet supply stores, including PetsMart and PetCo sell Drinkwell fountains. There are other brands of fountains and "water bubblers," but the Drinkwell is by far and away the most popular and interesting to cats.

Instead of putting the fountain or his water bowl on a piece of carpeting, which is fun to scratch, put it on a smooth surface like a place mat. The smooth surface will probably discourage him from scratching.

It's possible that he's not happy with his water bowl. For a kitten, the bowl shouldn't be real deep. A glass cereal bowl would work best. Make sure the bowl is wide enough to accommodate his whiskers. Most cat would prefer to not have to flatten their whiskers against their faces when eating or drinking.

I hope this helps. If you'd like more information, please feel free to write back to me.

Missy