how old is he?
what did he eat last?
was he outdoors?
Please stand by while I type detailed answer.
Is the ANY chance he ate something outdoors that was toxic?
Check inside his mouth for any abnormalities or stuck items. He may have eaten non food and has a blockage or a toxic item.
If that bis the case, he needs to get to a vet ASAP!
If he is just constipated, the best natural laxative is milk. It should bring on a BM in two hours or less.Older cats are often calcium deficient leading to hard dry stools.
Most constipation is due to inadequate fluid in the bowel so your baby should eat canned food with a bit of water added to prevent this in the future.
The average is one to two bowel movements a day. However, a cat can manage as long as they have a good defecation every other day. Any longer than that and the stool can become toxic in his system.
Most constipation is caused by inadequate fluid and fiber in the colon. A high fiber diet should help as long as he eats it.Science diet is not a great food - vets push it because they sell it but there are much better ones.
A natural remedy is canned pumpkin (not pie filling) a teaspoon a day added to his food. Some people also give an ounce of milk daily as most older cats are calcium deficient.There are also several vet scipted drugs like lactulose and cipracide. The problem with laxatives and enemas are the same with humans. These artificial stimulants interfere with the normal peristaltic waves of the intestine and repeated use can cause further constipation, obstipation and even megacolon.
Please refer to the following links and info:
"The causes of constipation and obstipation are many, including diet (ingested hair, foreign bodies, bones); environment (a dirty litter box, lack of exercise, hospitalization); painful defecation (anal abscesses from cat-fight bites or feces- matted hair [long-haired cats are particularly susceptible]); obstructions (tumors and improperly healed pelvic fractures that restrict movement through the intestines); and medications (for other conditions). And watch your cat's weight. Obese cats can become constipated.
Chronic constipation and obstipation from specific causes can result in a distended colon that has poor movement (megacolon). Sometimes, though, megacolon occurs when the muscular movement of the colon wall, which propels fecal material through the colon, diminishes for some unknown reason. As a result, fecal matter comes remains in the colon where it becomes drier and harder. Over time, the enlarged, impacted colon loses most of its muscular ability (motility) and becomes a loose pouch filled with dry, concrete like material. Unfortunately, veterinary science has yet to discover the causes of this condition known as idiopathic megacolon."
Here is the rest of the article:SOURCE:
Here are others I think will be helful:
Cats dont get "bugs" but thhey do get infections. I would suspect an abscessed tooth, a GI upset or acid reflux. Even though he may not appear underhdrated, he still can be a bit,he also may have a hairball.
Feel all over his body and see if he reacts to any painful spots.
Make sure he is able to urinate. He should be seen ASAP if he can't!!
Cats that eat dry can have bouts of dehyration.Indigestion is caused by inadequate chewing. Vomiting is very common. When acid reflux builds up in the stomach, they begin to vomit. Even if they have always eaten this,, they often become intolerant to corn and gluten which are used as filers in most supermarket cat foods.Vets push science diet because they sell it but it is not a great food as it too contains corn and gluten.
Lack of fluid in the bowel also leads to vomiting, Ingested hair can also be a factor.Anorexia for any extended time leads to liver damage and causes nausea and vomiting as well.
I would add some canned food for him
Serve the two foods separately - do not mix them - add a half pepsid a/c tablet, crushed up into the wet food one time a day.
Put hairball remedy or even plain vaseline on his paw for himto lick off as well.
If his tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.
If he wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.
Give him droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure he stays hydrated.
Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for both of you.
Sincerest best wishes,