Dr. KB
Dr. KB, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
6065144

My dogs head is really hot, but everything else seems

Customer Question

I have an 8-year-old Akita/Mastiff who has always been healthy. For the past two days her head feels really hot, but everything else seems normal. She doesn't act any differently, her appetite is normal, but it doesn't seem right for her head to be so hot. Is something wrong?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. KB replied 6 years ago.
Have you taken her temperature?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to fixnpets's Post: No - I don't have any way to do that at my house
Expert:  Dr. KB replied 6 years ago.

You can get one of those 6 second digital thermometers. Dog's temp should be anywhere between 99.5 to 102.5. If that is normal, then I would not be concerned with the heat in terms of fever.

Have you checked skin on those hot areas and checked in the ears? Any head shaking?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to fixnpets's Post: I'll be able to check her temp tomorrow... do I check it like you do at the vet's office?

Her skin feels normal between her toes and her ears look fine, too. No head shaking.

Thanks so much for your help!
Expert:  Dr. KB replied 6 years ago.

yes do a rectal temp. that is why it's imp to get those 6 sec thermometers b/c Akita's are famous for hating that!

If you have checked her head and skin and ears look good and no head shaking I would not worry too much, esp if she is eating/drinking fine. Just making sure she has no infection as this sometimes is indicated by heat and swelling.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. KB, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
:) I'm sure she won't like it, but I'll feel better knowing she's ok! Thanks again for your help. Have a good night!
Expert:  Dr. KB replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome!