Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my cat is eleven. she stays in one place most f the ...

Customer Question

my cat is eleven. she stays in one place most f the day and has to be persuaded to go to her food. she does not walk but runs to the bowl and then she breathes hard for a few moments before she eats. it's hard to tell if she's lost weight but i think she has.
should i take her to an emergency vet or to my regular vet?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

How long is she acting this way?

what food is in her bowl?

Is she eating it eventually?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: i've noticed this for about a week and a half.
i give her a mix of wet and dry (friskies) 3x a day.
she does eventually eat and eats most if not all, but she does no go to the food unless i persuade her.
she'll also eat treats if i take them to her.
i leave dry food out all day.
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Dear friend,

Cats do not have whims like people. Whenever they stop eating they are either ill or in pain. If she has no other symptoms like fever, diarrhea, constipation, infection, etc then here is something going on that is difficult to ascertain - but it exists nevertheless. Sometimes a cat can have an abscessed tooth or root that is in the gum.They can ingest a piece of plastic that in not perceivable in an xray. They can be mildly dehydrated or have a metabolic or organic imbalance that is too slight to read on a test. She may also feel nauseated.

With a cat her age,, I am suspecting a bad tooth, however i would hesitate to subject her to any anesthesia for a denta procedure unless her bloodwork supports her ability to tolerate it.

She may just be dehydrated or hypoglycemic.

If your cat is not diabetic begin by giving her two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When she feels hydrated she will lick up the gruel on her own.

Boil chicken or fish as the scent of food cooking awakens the appetite sensor in the brain.

Please get started ASAP and let me know how things are going. I will stand by to hear from you and help further.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
meant to do this earlier
am heading to the store to get the baby food and pedialyte.
will keep you posted

Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Hi Denice,

I will be here all day so please keep me posted.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I did the pedialyte and got her turkey baby food. i think she's doing better - she's lying on her side which i have not seen her do in days. her eyes are bright and i think the color of her gums is inproving.

i'm thinking it may have been an ingested plastic problem. she's done it before and i try to keep the bags away from her, but she will find and chew on them (she's got a hairball problem on occasion)
thnks for your help
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Please keep me posted.

Check her stool to see if anthing was expelled.

It is wise to see your vet tomorrow due to her age.

Best wishes,