Dr. KB
Dr. KB, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
6065144

My cat had a cyst/tumour break open. There is an open area ...

Customer Question

My cat had a cyst/tumour break open. There is an open area draining and the surrounding tissue is reddened. I have been cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide. I started today using colloidal silver. It is 1 week since this happened. Is there anything else I can do. She is also on an antibiotic. Will this site ever close?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 6 years ago.
Hi There!

Can you tell me where on your kitty this is?
Have you noticed a decrease in the discharge, less pus?
How old is she an does she go outdoors?

Standing by to help...

Reani
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Reani's Post: The tumour is located on her right side, attached to her ribs, no pus, clear fluid, she is 12 years old and seldoms goes outside. The wound is the size of a loonie coin and is ready to cave in. What should I apply regarding ointments and dressings?? HELP,asap thank you. When will you be back on-line to answer this question??????
Expert:  Dr. KB replied 6 years ago.

Does sound like some type of cyst with clear fluid coming out. Lots of times I encounter a fatty pasty type of material which would be a sebaceous cyst.

Typically unless you extract the inner lining of the cyst it will close over and continue to refill. Did you vet extract the lining when he/she put kitty on antibiotics?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to fixnpets's Post: No my vet did not extract the lining..he believes it is cancer but I don't..aspiration was done and no fibrocyts found. Again what should I apply to the wound for medication & what type of dressing. The antibiotic has given her diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. KB replied 6 years ago.

While I cannot be privvy to your vet's thinking as I did not examine your cat, the only advice I can give you is to get a second opinion (go by and pick up your medical records for this - and NOT only shot records, get the medical notes as this should have what the vet found). If this truly is a cyst it will recur if you do not remove the lining. Sometimes this does not even require anesthesia (I removed my cat's without any).

What exactly did he see on aspiration?

As for the antibiotics, yes, they can cause diarrhea. It's important to give with food. I would not stop them, but you can skip a few doses and see what happens with your cat's stool. If the diarrhea continues even with food, you need to switch types. As for topical, you can use neosporin but it may not help very much.

Let me know if you need anything else.