Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cats paws are cold and he has been sleeping all ...

My cats paws are cold and he has been sleeping all day...what could be wrong with him?

How old is he?

does he go outdoors?

is he eating?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Terri,

He is about 1 1/2 yrs old. He goes outdoors sometimes, but not without me with him. There is another cat that is outdoors alot, but he comes in about every other day or two. I've noticed my boy Freyr, grooming him at times. Yes, he's eating, but not as much as usual. He actually is better this week, although he isn't romping around as much as he used to. His paws are warm again and so are his ears. He's back to eating all the time...well, at his meal times and then crunchy food in between.

Thank you
Alice

Dear XXXXX,

You still need to keep an eye on your boy for inappetite,cold temp, etc

He may have picked up an infection from his buddy.

Cats do not have whims like people. Whenever they stop eating they are either ill or in pain. If he has no other symptoms like fever, diarrhea, constipation, infection, etc then there is something going on that is difficult to ascertain - but it exists nevertheless. Sometimes a cat can have an abscessed tooth or root that is in the gum.They can ingest a piece of plastic that in not perceivable in an xray. They can be mildly dehydrated or have a metabolic or organic imbalance that is too slight to read on a test. He may also feel nauseated.

If he stops eating again and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

Boil chicken or fish as the scent of food cooking awakens the appetite sensor in the brain.

Please get started ASAP and let me know how things are going. I hope this was just a temporary upset and Freyr will be fine.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Terri,

Thanks for the information on what to do if this happens again. I do have a couple more questions for you though. I hope that's okay.

Freyr has been eating better lately. He's been more like the kitty we first brought inside. (he did start out as a baby outside.) He's even been jumping up on the kitchen counters again!

How do I know if he is diabetic? Is there any way to tell that without a vet check, blood tests, etc? Any signs that I should look for? I did notice when he was feeling ill that when he slept, it seemed like he drooled, just like people do, is that normal? I wondered at the time if he was having trouble with his teeth or a tooth. Sometimes just the tip of his tongue would be out of his mouth, like he didn't want to extend it any further.

He is eating and drinking like normal now and he seems to be going potty normally. I've been keeping an eye on his paws as I'm assuming that means he's ill, so far they're normal. I've also been watching to make sure that he is hydrated. We had a sick cat (he died last December, RIP Smoothie) and his paws deflated and a vet told me that means they're dehydrated, so I've been watching Freyr for that. He was just at the water bowl. :)

Oh chicken, yes, he does like chicken. I found that out last week when I made chicken corn noodle soup. He had his nose in my bowl so I got some of the white meat out, left it cool off and then gave him some. He doesn't like it, he loves it!

Thank you
Alice

Hi Alice,

You can check for dehydration by pullung up the skin at the scruff and see if it springs back or moves slowly. .

I would not worry about diabetes in a cat his age.

A cats appetite is the best barometor of health because sick cats wont eat so as long as he continues to eat, he is fine.

Drooling can be a sign of a bad tooth, nausea or licking a distasteful item.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Best regards,

Terri

I appologize if I did not fully answer your question. I was just leaving to go out on calls.

If you need anything I will always be here for you.

God bless you for taking this sweet kitty in!!

Huggs,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Terri,

That's okay. I'm new to this site and I'm a bit confused.

I have taken in his sister too and was able to get them both spayed and neutered.

I'm wondering if you have any information where i can get the rest of their clan taken care of? At this point I have 2 boys and 1 girl that are about 10 mths old and need s & n, they are Momma cats' babies. Then I have Isis and she has 4 kittens that need to be s & N very soon. As far as I know 2 are girls and 2 are boys. Mostly I'm going on the colors of the cats themselves to tell me their sex. It seems that the orange ones are boys and the black/orange/white ones are girls. (I only know this from previous litters). I have one gray kitty and I THINK he is a boy. We've been taking care of all of them since birth. Feeding, watering and taking care of boo-boos. No-one has had any shots, well, because there is no way I could afford to get them all done. I do want them to be as healthy as can be, but the two older ladies (Momma cat and Isis) really need to stop having litters. Isis's kittens are from two different litters, we think. We think the oldest one is her first baby and then the three others are the second litter. It's confusing, I know! Another question I have is, is it true that all tri-colored cats are female? It has proved out with ours so far, but I'm curious to know generally.

Thanks
I hope you're having a good weekend
Alice