Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Conditions in cats that mimic FIP

6 month old kitten has extended stomach, had lab tests on fluid, has protein, etc., but the kitten is growing, has a voracious appetite, interacts with people and other cats in the house and with 2 clavamox and 5 mg prednisolone daily for the past 2 weeks appears to be improving and ascites fluid decreasing. Know FIP is fatal, but could this be something else? No signs of loose stools or problem with kidney function, etc. Original blood testing 4 weeks ago showed no abnormalities in liver or kidney, etc., functions. Know I'm grasping at straws but thought FIP was a wasting disease, vomiting, loss of appetite, etc.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Did the kitten test positive for corona virus?

How long does he have the distended abdomen?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Never tested him for the corona as the specialist vet was so sure it was FIP. (Paid over $300 for a 5 minute visit and just a fluid sample sent to a lab with just yielded high protein count, and as I mentioned before our local vet did a blood sample panel with no abnormalities for the kidney, liver, etc.) We adopted him from a very safe for adoption animal shelter where we've adopted pets before. Our personal vet was convinced at first this was not FIP, but after just a protein testing by a "specialist" clinic in SC, that tested high protein, she just said it's FIP. But as you can tell, I'm not convinced because having a FIP cat means all my other 4 cats are at risk and really want to adopt a number more of cats but with the fIP prognosis, makes this very iffy. "Crosby" is still getting brighter by the hour but still has the FIP protruded abdomen, but no other signs of the disease. Hope he will be the one that will confound animal experts, but we'll see, so any more info you can provide me or need from me let me know.
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Please stand by, I am typing detailed answer for you.

I need to know how long he has this enlarged tummy.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
When we adopted him, August 16, he had a distended tummy which we thought he might need a worming. Can't believe we were so stupid as not to see the stomach as being a problem. We are not novices in the animal adoption world but I guess after we had to put our 17 year old cat down the week before we adopted this one, we got sloppy. He has had an extended stomach for almost 5 weeks now since we adopted him and as I mentioned before, had a tummy as we brought him in. Along with a prognosis for Crosby, when and if he passes and even before, when would it be prudent to have another kitten/cat come into the household along with our other 4 cats?

e have adopted cats for 40 years and have always treated them to the best of veterinary care and thought we were alwasy on top of the very latest in veterinary care. . Guess you're never to old to learn
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Dear friend,

To my knowledge, no cat has ever survived wet FIP, but the dry form, yes!in addition, a live cat cannot test positive for FIP, he can only be positive for Corona virus. Your vet is diagnosing this on the basis of the enlarged abdomen with no other proof.

Wet FIP has a rapid downhill course. Cats do not get better, they get worse.

Check for Chylothorax which is an accumulation of lymph in the pleural cavity..Other possibilities are lymphoma, leukemia, , tumor, etc.

The chest ad abdomen should be xrayed if that has not been done already.

Check for intestinal Intussception:

One of our experts said she had a cure. I present it to you:

"If they were my kittens I would also have put them on raw turkey and chicken immediately. That was not an option with the head of this rescue. Instead I added Wysong brand "F-biotic" to their meals. They have two products that are very similar Call of the wild is designed to be added to 100% meat diets, F-biotic is similar but designed to be added to meals that contain a bone/mineral source (most commercial diets). Because there were so many kittens and most had diarrhea it was difficult to guage if it was getting worse in any of them. As the diarrhea became less watery, I slowly increased the dosage. I believe within 2 weeks there were all sharing a meal (about 1/2 pound of wet food with some kibble added) with a total of 1 tsp of esther C and about 2 tsp of the F-biotic. They were offered this twice a day (they were free fed but ate the majority at two meal times). Within 1 week or so, swelling of bellies had stopped and diarrhea improved. They still looked Swollen, but the disease had been slowed drastically. Over the next few weeks the head of the rescue continued the treatment I had started. I checked in with the kittens about a month later and was shocked to see that all of them were still alive. Within another month or so, the vet had diagnosed all as FIP-free and gave a clean bill of health"

Right now I do not want to think about Crosby dying. However, if he does you will be able to ascertain for sure if he did have this dreaded illness. If so (God forbid) wait six months before bringing in a new kitty.

Here are agencies that will help with expenses:

American Animal Hospital Association
" Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship."

Angels 4 Animals
"Our services range from financial aid to complete treatment
to those pets and pet owners in need."

Care Credit
A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care.
"With a comprehensive range of plan options, for
treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan
and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every

Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance (FVEAP)
"Seniors, People with disabilities, People who
have lost their job, Good Samaritans who rescue a cat or kitten - any of these folks may need financial assistance to save a beloved companion."

The Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Prog ram is a nonprofit 501
(c)(3) organization that provides financial assistance to cat and
kitten guardians who are unable to afford veterinary services to save
their companions when life-threatening illness or injury strikes.

God's Creatures Ministry
"This fund helps pay for veterinarian bills for those who need help."

"Our efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the
working poor."

"We are dedicated to insure that no
companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker
is financially challenged."

The Pet Fund
"The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that
provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need
urgent veterinary care."

I hope I have covered every possibility

Please let me know what happens. I will always be here for you and your babies.

Best wishes and prayers for Crosby,

Very sincerely,