Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my cat has hair loss on her back heel/foot

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Hi Rick,

There are a few possibilities so I will try to cover everything.

Fortunately cats do not get as many skin conditions as dogs so they are much easier to diagnose and treat. They can be allergic reactions, fungus or infection.

Here is the most common with photos:

Feline acne:

Miliary Dermatitis:

Ringworm can be recurrent and is treated with a topical fungicide or a vaccine shot.She may hav picked it up at the vets.

miliary dermatitis can come from a food allergy or the bite of even ONE flea.This is treated with one cortesone shot or neosporen it is safe it she licks a bit.

Granuloma is also usually allergic in nature and can be treated cortesone or antibiotics or both.

There is also alopecia which is usually symetrical and can be self inflicted:

A staph infection is also a possibility and can recur at times when the immune system is weakened temporarily.

Please look at the photos and let me know which best relates to your cats issues and I will be happy to discuss this further with you

If it t is most likely miliary dermatitis or Ringworm.Even ONE flea bite could cause it in an allergic kitty..You can apply a bit of neosporen .a few times a day for that.

Repeated use of steroids can be dangerous because they can harm the kidneys. They will also further depress her immune system so I would not want her to get more than one shot.

Have your vet shine a black light because if it is Ringworm - the steroids will NOT help one bit

she can have one oral dose of program as that will distroy ringworm:

Please let me know if you see it in the pics.and how your baby is doing. I will always be here for both of you.

Sincerest best wishes,