Patricia, Pet Advisor
Experience:  Several yrs. exp. with all types of pets, specializing in parrot care and behavior.

Is it safe for my cats to drink softened water

Customer Question

I recently installed a water softener. Will my cats adjust to the softened water and is it safe?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.
Hello. The problem with softened water, aside from the taste, is that is it softened, basically, with salt. They may even decide on their own they don't want to drink it but if it were my kittys, I would feel much better keeping that sodium away from them and buy them bottled water. But, before you spend money on the water, double check your set up. In many instances, not all the water is actually softened. Sometimes it's only the water going to the washer or only to certain faucets in the house. If all the water coming in is not treated, for example maybe your bathroom sinks, just get their drinking water from a non softened faucet. Otherwise I'd go with the bottled but you don't have to buy the expensive high dollar fancy stuff. I buy store brand bottled water for my parrots at about 69 cents a gallon. Few pets are more sensitive than parrots and mine do just fine with store brand water. I hope this helps but if you need anything else, just let us know. Patricia