Peter Bennett, DVM
Peter Bennett, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience as a Small Animal veterinarian

My cats eye has a thick white skin or something covering ...

Customer Question

My cats eye has a thick white skin or something covering half his eyes, and he rubs it very hard.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Peter Bennett, DVM replied 9 years ago.
What you are seeing is the third eyelid. It rests out of sight in the inside corner of the eyes, and if the eyeball is pulled back into the socket just a bit, it appears. The curvature of the eye keeps it down.

What is happening is something has gotten in the eyes and is irritating or hurting quite a bit. As an immediate measure, you may try rinsing the eyes with something like contact lens saline solution. Just dribble it onto the eyes to help flush them. You can't do too much flushing if it is helping.

Failing this, he won't get any relief until he has successful treatment for whatever the problem is. Hopefully his vet can see him, and he won't have to wait till tomorrow.

I hope this helps, and best wishes.