Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

i hear a rattling in my cats chest when he breathes, ...

Customer Question

i hear a rattling in my cats chest when he breathes, yesterday i thought the sound was purring, now i'm certain its rattling/congestion that i'm hearing. he's also slept more today then he ever has. i'm very worried. he's seeing the vet tomorrow, should i wait for our appointment (11am) tomorrow morning or go now (11:28pm) please help
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

How old is your cat?

Did you first start hearing the rattling yesterday?

Is your cat having trouble breathing, and/or coughing at all?

Is he eating, drinking and eliminating as usual since you hear the noise in his chest? Even though he's sleeping a lot today, has he eaten on his own and/or drank water?

Thanks for any additional detail.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: franky is 1 year old, he's had a good appetite (a s usual) he's drinking water and eliminating as usual. franky hasn't been coughing but he sounds as if he's having difficulty breathing.

thank you so much cher, i'm really worried about frankie, i've had him for only 9 days and i love him so much already and i can tell he loves me too
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hello again, and I'm so glad to hear Franky is your new furry addition and you're already so attached to each other! : )

If he's having trouble breathing, I wouldn't wait until tom'w morning for your vet appt., but bring him to the ER vet center, now. He may have pneumonia, or another respiratory/pulmonary infection or problem, which is causing the rattling you hear in his chest. It's encouraging that he's been eating and drinking and using the litterbox today, but I would definitely bring him in for evaluation and treatment, now, tonight.

I hope Franky will be fine and would you please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you? Thanks!