lbrake, Cat consultant for neighbors
Experience:  30 years experience with cat behavior matters

kitten and teething

My kitten is 6 months old is a Himilayan.She has started teething. Her breath is really bad. For a few days she will have a brownish yellow stool and then it will go back to normal. She doesn't have diarreha,and sometimes it smells real bad also.Took her to vet, said she had no parasites.
She is eating and drinking. She seems to just lay around a lot more than normal. How long does the teething last? Could all of this be part of the teething process?
Category: Cat
Expert:  lbrake replied 9 years ago.

Dear Friend,

Usually, the kitten teething period starts at between 3 to 6 months of age, and is completed between 7 to 9 months of age. Bad breath is normal during the teething stage. Kittens often suffer fever and/or diarrhea during the teething stage, and as long as your kitten is eating and drinking, she should make it through the teething stage just fine.

Your kitten may also be more lethargic than normal while she is teething, especially if she has a fever. Take her to the vet, however, if she stops eating or drinking, or if she acts like she is in severe pain.

I hope this helps to put your mind at ease --- both of my cats had difficult teething stages, and today they are very big and healthy! Please let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
NuNu (my kittens name) really doesn't have diarrhea, it is just a little loose and she gets it on bottom. Of course being a long haired himilayan, I know it is going to happen. Her pooped also stinks.
She is still eating and drinking as normal. She does tend to sleep a little more and lays around more. She doesn't act like she is in any pain. She still plays and runs around.
Just kind of concerned becasue of the loose stool. But if this goes along with the teething process, then I am okay with it. I'll just keep watching her.