Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

My cat keeps on scratching her neck raw with her back

My cat keeps on scratching her neck raw with her back foot. She doesn't have fleas. What can I do to stop her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 9 years ago.

Is she on flea prevention? If so, what kind?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no, she's not. but there is no evidence of fleas in my home or on her. she was shot by my neighbor 2 1/2 months ago, it was traumatic she was hospitalized for 6 days and she has been ok since then, except the scratching thing. she was doing it a couple of weeks ago but the site healed. but she started doing it again a few days ago and it looks worse than before. i think if she just stops scratching she will be ok, i just don't know how to make her
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 9 years ago.

If you have a narrow tooth comb, I want you to brush her with it. Just brush the area where back meets her rump, right in front of her tail. Brush her over a piece of white paper and then shake the comb on the paper. Tell me if you see black flecks of dirt fall off.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 9 years ago.

You did get black flecks of sand?

If you did, she has fleas. Those black flecks are flea "dirt." It's actually flea poop. They consume the blood of the animal and then poop it out. If you wet one of the flecks, it will turn red and look like a drop of blood.

The GOOD thing is that your problem is easy to solve. Just swing by your vet's office on Monday and pick up some Frontline. It's about $10 and it should solve your problem. It will kill the fleas within 24 hours.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
so if i do that she will stop scratching the one spot that she scratches raw?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 9 years ago.
Yeah. She will stop scratching. If she has a raw spot, you can wash it with some peroxide and apply neosporin to help hasten healing.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
its ok if she licks the neo?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 9 years ago.
If she licks it, it won't hurt her. You can apply it, distract her for 5 minutes and then wipe off the excess. If she licks what's left, it will be just fine.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 9 years ago.
You are VERY welcome! Glad I could help.