Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

My cats have been infected with torovirus. Starting 4 weeks ...

Customer Question

My cats have been infected with torovirus. Starting 4 weeks ago after a 2 week incubation period from the visiting queen who passed it on to my tom. Is there any way to reduce recovery time - I understand it can last 6 months! Diarrhoea comes and goes. I have 8 cats - should I separate them, will they reinfect each other or become imune eventually? When can I allow visiting queens again? Will it affect newborn kittens? What can I give my cats to improve gut function - I feed a good quality dried food with a little Felix Good As It Looks. They are not keen on chicken/fish.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 9 years ago.

How are they doing now? Do you still need an answer to this? Sorry for the delay.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I am a cat breeder in England. there is little info about Torovirus management here. What, if anything , can I do to reduce the length of time my cats remain infected, as I do not want to infect any new or visiting cats onto my premises? Their stools remain loose/soft with very occasional runny accidents and wind. 6 weeks since my first cat became infected.(They are all wormed and otherwise healthy, and are kept indoors/ outdoor pens). I clean their litter trays constantly!
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 9 years ago.

The good thing about torovirus is that it's generally self limiting. But it can take some time when you're dealing with multiple cats, all of which have contracted it.

Treatment for torovirus mainly just involves giving supportive care.

Here is a great website with a lot more information:

I want you to take a look at it and then let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Sorry, but I have already visited the sniksnak website. I was hoping for more information.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 9 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not pleased. That site is pretty comprehensive and a great reference. The only thing that I would add to is that you can use pedialyte to rehydrate them because they do lose fluids through the diarrhea. You can also boil some chicken and white rice (no bones, no skin) or offer some jarred baby food meat (like gerber). It comes in small, bland chunks.

But, because this is self limiting, you should see it start to resolve within 2 weeks. Some cases do need antibiotics so, if it lasts longer, don't hesitate to see your vet.