Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue

At what age would a tabby cat and a calico cat stop growing

Customer Question

I have two cats I adopted from the Humane Society, the tabby is 14 months and the calico is 15 months. They both seem small compared to other cats, but I heard they stop growing at about 1 year. The vet says I have two very healthy kitties, but I am curious to know if they will every get bigger. The tabby is 7 and a half pounds and the calico is 8. Is this a normal size or are they both just small?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 9 years ago.
Good morning!
While they are a little on the small side, it is not abnormal for a cat to be at these weights full grown, in fact it is common. It is true that they finish growing by about one year unless they are maine coons which tend to grow a bit longer, but not enough to make a big difference. There are so many breeds out there that it would be impossible to tell what they are exactly, but their breed does play a large role in their adult size.

I would not worry about their size, as they sound like they are fine at the weights they are, and should be.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss further.

Warm Wishes,