Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

my cat has eaten hundreds of dragonflies over the last ...

my cat has eaten hundreds of dragonflies over the last two days and now has dissapeared, are they poisonous?

Has your cat come home yet? How is he doing?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no he never did come back, its been over a week or so(sorry didnt word question well)hes never left for more than a few hours.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no he never did come back, its been over a week or so(sorry didnt word question well)hes never left for more than a few hours. also he did the first day have severe diarrea and vomiting.

I am sorry to hear that he has been gone for so long. Most cats don't actually eat the dragonfly... they just play with them.

I know it's breaking your heart to have him gone.

I have seen them take off for up to a month and then come home. I would post fliers and keep ads in the paper and post his loss on http://www.petfinder.com/. Be sure and visit your shelter to look for him daily because, in many counties, strays only get a limited amount of time.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist:
the question was not acctually answered, are dragonflies eaten in large amounts poisonous to cats?

The Dragonflies are non toxic to animals. In fact Dragonflies are actually a help since they eat mosquito larva and keep the mosquito population down. It is not unusal as Tammy has said, for a cat to wandering off. There is even possiblity that a child has seen your baby and picked him and taken him home. I have seen that all too ofeten, especially if your baby was a friendly and loving Kitty. Joan jav917

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the reason i was wondering about the dragonflies was just because he was so sick befor he left and one of the other sites said that they were completly toxic they had suggested to that lady to take her cat to the vet immediatly after it ate one, i really just wanted to know if it had killed him, because i know cats do run off if they think there going to die.

Fireflies are highly toxic, but not dragonflies. I had checked with the agricultural extention office just to be sure. Joan jav917

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats