Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician

My cat really likes whipped cream (only the heavy whipping ...

My cat really likes whipped cream (only the heavy whipping brand from Safeway). Will it give her worms or hurt her to eat whipped cream? She asks for it about four times a day (whinning and rubbing and climbing on the refridgerator). When we give her some we give her a tablespoon and she eats it and goes away. She is 3.5 years old.

Whipped cream is very high in fat and also it is a dairy product and since the majority of cats are lactose intolerant you may end up dealing with some vomiting or diarrhea. Since it is high in fat you could also end up having issues with chronic pancreatitis down the road. No, it will not cause worms but in the future down the road yes it could affect her health.

Things to consider are weight gain, issues with vomiting and diarrhea, diabetes as a result of excessive weight, pancreatitis as a result of having a high fat treat, or food allergies (dairy).

A treat here and there is not that big of a deal but four times a day may be a bit excessive. Try picking her up some CatSip from the pet store or grocery to see if she will accept this. If she does then great if not then try mixing 1/2 catsip and half cream to see if she will take this. You may be able to wean her off of the Cream altogether this way. Catsip is a milk substitute that is healthy for cats.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.