Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

cat: from peeing on blankets, clothes, or any type of fabric

I cant stop my cat from peeing on blankets, clothes, or any type of fabric on the floor. He also pees on our futon. We have tried numerous products. Can you help?

How old is he?

how long is he doing this?

is he an only kitty?

Please list what you have tried,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: He is two years old.

He has been doing this for almost a year. Last year I went on a two week trip, and when I came back, I put my clothes on my futon. The next day he had urinated all over them. He had never done it before.

Now he cannot stop.

We have tried spraying numerous remedy products on the places he urinates on. Like natures.. I forgot the name.

Now if there is some sort of clothing or fabric of any kind on the carpet or futon, he will urinate on them.

The weird thing is that he will not do this in our bedroom.

Hope this helps.

Hi Nik,

I am typing detailed answer so please stand by.

Dear Nik,

Whenever a formerly clean kitty begins to soil out of box, he is usually trying to communicate some sort of pain or distress to his human "mom" or "Dad"

Cats may not seem unwell because it is their nature to hide an illness as long as possible but if the urine or stool is abnormal in any way - that will be your first clue. If his appetite is different that is an indication as well.

He may have become upset when you were gone and stress leads to illness by weakening the immune system

Your cat may have a urinary tract infection.That can become serious in males.

UTI's must be treated with an effective broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clidimycin and for a long enough duration so all bacteria is eradicated. If not, they will refluorish, stronger and more resistant and reinfect her. In addition, the bacteria can become tolerant of the same anibiotic so the medication should be varied for best results.

Anything new is very stressful to a cat because kitty's HATE change and as I said stress can lead to illness so you want to watch for any developing symptoms.

Give him a teaspoon of plain yogurt every day. That will keep "good" bacteria in his colon. He can also have one drop of unsweetened cranberry juice every day to lower the PH of his stool and urine.

If this continues or gets worse he should be checked.He is not just doing this to annoy you or because he got mad as cats do not think like that - he may not feel well and is trying to let you know about it.Or he is confused..

Sometimes cats become "picky" about the condition of their box and do not want to share or use the same one for both things..Try adding an additional one and see if that helps.

Also try cat attract litter sold in pet supply stores. Clean any soiled areas with an enzyme product so she can no longer smell it.

He may be marking in a desperate attempt to reattain his head cat status or he may just be intimidated or sick.He is marking YOUR things because he recognizes your scent on them.

Spray with feliway to fool him into thinking items are already marked. Try rescue remedy sold in pet supplies and is rubbed on the gums.

Clean with an enzyme product like zero odor or odor mute because regular detergents will not fool him one bit.

Please let me know how he is doing. if you still have questions, I will always be here for you.

I hope he stops real soon.

Very sincerely,