Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, DVM (Veterinarian)
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Integrative Medicine (Western and Homeopathic)

my cat is coughing up clear mucus. Any idea why

it started about one week ago. he was lethargic and would cough up this mucus usually on awakening. our vet thought it might be an URI so put him on amoxicillin for 7 days and the coughing went away. Two days after the ABX regimen was over, symptoms were back.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 9 years ago.

Hi Poopsie,

Thanks for asking your most important question on Just Answer. How old is your cat? A URI in a cat is usually viral. Some veterinarians will use antibiotics to prevent a secondary bacterial infection. Since your cat got better on 7 days of Amoxicillin, it is likely a bacterial infection, but the antibiotics weren't given for a long enough course, or were not strong enough. For a URI in cats, I prefer to use Doxycycline since many of the URI's are actually similar to kennel cough in dogs (bordatella). I would talk to your vet about a longer course of antibiotics to clear the infection. Also, if persistent, a chest xray may be in order.

Please let me know if I can provide you with any further information. I hope your cat is feeling chipper soon.