Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.

Does dry cat food go bad after a period of time

Customer Question

I have dry cat food and i have had it for a few months and i was wondering if it goes bad because my cat has been having an upset stomach.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Micki replied 9 years ago.

Hello, Mel

Dry food will last a very long time from the point of purchase. Like a year. If you keep it an air tight container it will last even longer.

If you still have the bag, it should have a EXP date on it.

It is most likely just a fluke. Cats just puke sometimes. Very small things can upset their belly's.

Try making her a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. This is very easily digested for cats. Keep this diet for a few days. It is probably just a passing bug that will go away on it's own. You can also give her a 1/2 a pepcid AC to help calm her stomach too.

If it doesn't go away in a couple days, then you should make a vet appointment to rule out any infections, GI problems, parasites.

Sincerely, Micki