Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

how do i stop my cat from chewing on my couch seat fabric

the cat ruined my new couch seat made of a leather substitute. i now bought a new couch made up in a fabric and the cat has bit 2 holes in my newest one, which i had covered with a beach towel that she climbed under to bit the fabric.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

There are 'repellent' sprays like bitter apple, which can be sprayed on the couch, but they're usually not too effective. When you're not using the couch or don't have company, you can cover the material with either a plastic type cover or aluminum foil. Cats hate the feel of these materials under their paws and she shouldn't bite through it.

Try to distract her/divert her from the couch and make sure she has a tall scratching post, scratching pads, and plenty of toys.

A cat appeasing pheromone called Feliway/Comfort Zone for Cats, which comes in both a spray and plug-in diffuser, might help in this situation. It's available at major pet supply stores like Petsmart, and also online. The diffuser resembles a plug-in air freshener, but has no scent to humans. Feliway helps to relax stressed cats and is useful in a multitude of situations, including inappropriate biting of materials. For more information, please see:

I hope this problem is resolved soon!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: i need a few days to try your ideas.
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your response. I hope all goes well!