Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
1484153

My cat has lost about 2-3 pounds over the last month, ...

My cat has lost about 2-3 pounds over the last month, even though she is eating, it seems as if she is loosing the muscle mass in her hind quarters. She is not moving quite as well and not jumping, she sleeps most of the day. I have had her tested for hyperthyroidism and the tests came back normal, what could be wrong with her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

You mentioned having her tested for hyperthyroidism but did you have a complete blood profile performed or just this test?

How old is she?

Does she have increases in thirst or urination?

Any vomiting?

Thank you

Theresa

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: Phoebe is 7 years old. This whole thing started about 5 months ago when she had a series of seizure like attacks. She would slump over on the right side of her body, and it seemed as if every muscle on her left side would tighten up. I saw 5 of these attacks, but I believe she had more. They lasted less then a minute and afterward she would sit dazed for a minute. She bounced back from the first one okay, but after each one she would have more trouble moving and jumping. It seemed to affect her rear end the most. I took her to 2 vets, who each ran a series of blood test, including the thyroid test, and all came back normal. Neither one could tell me what her attacks were. The last vet visit was so stressful for her that I swore I would not take her back unless I knew it would help her. I think she went a couple of months without having an attack, but about a month ago she had two more. It was after the last one that I began to notice the weight loss. I can tell she struggles to move her rear end around, and my cat who could jump from my kitchen floor to the top of the fridge, now only jumps on and off my bed with some difficulty. It is so hard to tell if she is in pain or discomfort, she tends to switch positions often and sometimes her purr seems deeper or more intense, but for the most part she is in good spirits.
When I took her to the 2nd vet, he told me she was dehydrated, so I've made sure to keep a fresh water bowl upstairs by my bed so she doesn't have to come downstairs to drink. I haven't noticed any increased thirst or urination, all that seems pretty normal, and there is no vomiting or bathroom accidents.
I know she is a difficult case, I agonize over whether I should just leave her be or if there is something I could be doing to help her. I just don't want her to suffer needlessly.
Thank you,
Karen
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you,
Karen
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

The attacks sound just like seizures but this doesn't normally come with weakness in the rear end. I know you don't like to take her back to the vet but it is time to get a referral to a neurologist. I for one would be sure that she has had a toxoplasmosis test run and other infectious disease panel. Remember that it is possible to have the two conditions be completely unrelated. She may have hurt her back or her spine in the last seizure. I would consider treating the symptoms while looking for answers. Phenobarbital is commonly used to treat seizures in cats and metacam can be used to treat inflammation which may be what is going on in her rear legs. A neurologist may be able to help you isolate the cause more effeciently then a nonspecialist at this point. My concern here is that these seizures are causing a mild brain damage and with each one it gets worse resulting in the other symptoms you are seeing.

Theresa