Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue
3350763

There are white specs in my cats poop, is this normal She ...

There are white specs in my cats poop, is this normal? She started pooping outside of the box during the time I packed up and moved to a new home. We are all settled in but she hasn''''''''t stopped pooping outside of the box. Should this be a concern? She has never done this before.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.
Hi There!

Does your kitty go outdoors?
How old is she?
Would yo usay the specs look like grains of rice?

Standing by to help...
Reani
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Reani's Post: My kitty is an indoor cat she only goes out onto the deck of my 3rd floor condo. She is 9 years old. No they do not look like rice just litlle specs of white all throughout. Sometimes there is a drop of blood at the end of the poop. I have brought her into the vets for a checkup and they gave her a pill that would kill all worms which didn't seem to work and then I brought her in to get a shop for tapeworm. They also put her on antibotics because she had some mucus in her poop that I was told is usually caused by stress.
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.
Hi again,

Well, worming her would have been my suggestion as well, but the accidents outside the box are caused by stress as well, especially considering the changes and timeframe with which this started.

I would suggest adding Cat Attract additive to her litter box and making sure it is clean and in a private area for her and even consider adding a second box. Also clean all areas with a good enzymatic cleaner such as nature's Miracle, and if she has a favorite spot, put her food bowls there if it is feasible. You might also add a Feliway Diffuser to your home to help reduce her anxiety from the move and new environment. It will help her feel less like she has to claim the new home as her own, and feel at ease that there are no others that are trying to take her space in this strange place.

If she has been wormed before, have your vet check for Giardia and Cocciodosis. I think it is unlikely, but it is possible she may have one of these conditions and they would not be apparent to the vet unless he is looking for them. Now, before you do that, if you are feeding her canned food, take a look at it, especially if it is a fish variety. You may just find that there are white specs in the food that she is passing undigested.

I hope this helps you, please let me know how this goes. I will always be here if you need to discuss further.

Warm Wishes,
Reani
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the suggestions, I will try them. Does a little blood in her stool on occasion indicate anything wrong is going on as well? In your opinion do I need to bring her back to the vet or try your suggestions first?
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.

It is hard to tell which situation is causing her accidents. It could be one or the other, or a little of both. I think if she were mine, I would probably bring her in to check for other parasites you vet may not have checked for. It is also possible that what you are seeing is a recurrance of past infestation as some worms can lie dormant in the intestinal tract and hatch when the cat is stressed. Be sure to bring a fecal sample with you.

The blood could indicate an intestinal parasite like the ones mentioned above. If she is not debilitated though, you could try the suggestions first. If she becomes lethargic, stops eating or starts hiding, bring her in right away.

I do think that something may be going on, but since the blood is not constant, it could just be a hard stool passing. Not all wormers are good for all worms, so your vet may want to try a different type if you find that her food does not have white specs in it. If that is the case, I would bring her in sooner rather than later. If she feels any discomfort using the box, that could contribute to her accidents as well.

Please let me know what happens!
Warm Wishes,
Reani
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THank you for the additional information. My kitty is perfecly fine in every other way, she eats very well, plays and wants affection from me as usual, always comes running to greet me when I get home. I forgot to mention that besides pooping outside the box she does go in it as well, that is why I am confused about what I should do. I feed her Authority Hairball Control Lite dry food and can Fancy Feast (twice a week), do you know if that would produce the white specs?
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, I don't know.
Check the Fancy Feast when you open it. It may have those white pieces, my girls' fish flavored food has it. You will see it in the food, so take a look and let me know!

If she is acting okay, try the Cat Attract and other methods and treat as behavioral...but any changes, bring her right in.

Reani
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, thank you! Have a great day!
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.
You too!

Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience: 20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue